Monday, December 11, 2006

Doing Mom Proud


It all started innocently enough. We have a new receptionist, and true to office protocol, she got the short straw--planning the office festivities. Along with the requisite luncheon and the secret Santa nonsense (that we can never seem to keep secret), she added a new office "tradition"--special treat day.

The emailed instructions indicated that we should bake, make, buy and/or bring our favorite traditional holiday treat for a sharing fest during lunch (I think they got a reprieve from weight watchers for a day!)

Tempting as "buy" was, I rejected it. I am a "home economist" after all. But when thinking of my traditional holiday treats--they all seemed most appropriate for 2-7 year olds--candy cane cookies, painted cookies, sugar cookies with sprinkles and frosting, krispy treats--then I remembered--I have been in the workforce all these years---so did not evolve my "holiday traditions" beyond the point when I returned to work full time--thus forever frozen in pre-and early elementary school items (which are currently appreciated by Z).

So, I think, perhaps I will adopt the more "grown up" holiday traditions of my mother. The coveted box (no, any of the 4, you cannot have it--yet) is in my possession! I find the 50's/early 60' plastic box (intended for shoes, I think) and marvel at the collection of kitchen "gunk" that covers it--but cannot remove it--as it is "important". Flour, butter, vanilla mixtures placed by her fingers over the years.....I have "Buckeyes" in mind--not the all time favorite tradition (her fudge meltaways), but I am likely to have all the ingredients on hand.

I start flipping at the front of the box. Cookies (largest section). Then candy...sauces? on through punch, cake, pie, desserts (second largest section). Plod through casseroles, meats (interstingly only two cards: Meatloaf and porkchop casserole), vegetables (another small section with a zuchinni recipe, green bean casserole, and 5 versions of Kansas creamed corn), there is a drinks section with how to make your own Kalulah, salads--subdivided into vegetable, gelatin, fruit, slaws, etc. There is no bread section, but there is a pancake tab--? On throughFrozen desserts, potluck favorites, and some cards with recipes, but no section label. As I am hunting for the buckeyes (to me they should have been in candy), I am amazed at the stuff my mother collected that I never saw her cook...like Chicken recipes, zuchinni anything, and a dozen variations of quiche. Maybe after I left home......

The recipes were mostly hand written in her own handwritting (a little heart tug here), with meticulous notations on who it was provided by--Carrie, Marion, Ruth, Mary, Gladys,
Edna, and Fern--her friends and neighbors, church ladies, relatives and the couples club gals....brought back memories, as I could see their faces, and remember how sad she was when each "left" before her.

About half way through the "fragrance" rose up from the box--how does a box of recipes get and hold that familiar "old lady" odor when the old lady no longer cooked?---or maybe she was somehow there with me--looking for the Buckeye recipe? As quickly as it came, it went--was it in my head?....maybe. It was seeing the writting--a link to my past and my roots!

The first pass did not produce the buckeyes, but I did find several other favorites--and the famous "chocolate Jello" recipe (can't believe she kept this after we all voted!). Determined, I started in again. This time, I carefully separated anything stuck together, and as I flipped through marveled at the careful clipping and neat pasting ...lots of time for zuchinni recipes that she probably never used. But then, how many people have collected 13 inches of reicpe cards in an old plastic box?

Finally, somewhere behind the meatloaf, and in front of the "favorites", I found it....sticky, smuddgy, definately well used, and faded....start with a pound of butter, add 2 lbs of 10X sugar---definately appropriate for the weight watcher at work crowd--HA!

2 hours, many dishes, a dusting of powdered sugar everywhere (and I do mean everywhere), a few chocolate globs, and lots of sticky fingerprints later I had about 100 Buckeyes----and I sort of remembered why I stopped making holiday goodies in addition to the calories.

They look and taste like hers...somewhat of a triamph, as she rarely noted the ways she changed the recipes to make them her own! So off to the office a plate will go--and the rest are carefully packaged for other upcoming events.

Next time I will do this with one of the 4, because they need to know that you can still make these as a grownup, and it will be nice to have someone help with cleaning up the stickiness!

No comments: