Thursday, March 02, 2006

Wonders of the Work World

Through an odd set of circumstances, Z. Was dropped off at my workplace to be transported "home" (which really was only to my house....S had to pick him up there, but it saved her over 100 miles and a few hours.)

It was supposed to be Wednesday at 4:30, but turned into Thursday at 2:30. This meant that I needed to keep Z. "busy" for two hours while I finished working for the day. I went to the dollar store, and found a 6-pack of colored mechanical pencils--really wanted markers, but had to settle. Figured he would like to color.

Reality was that he liked the mechanical pencils! Something I had forgotten...The little boy fascination with mechanical pencils, and how "cool" it is to have some. Z. made a birthday card for D...Involving using a clip board, stapler, etc....Took quite some time.

Then we visited the snack shop--food is always good for a few more minutes. He choose carefully (probably unlike the choices of the prior few days) sensing that my guidelines were probably going to be very similar to S's. Actually they aren't, but at least it was admirable that he "clicked into" respecting the S list. Of course, my co-workers are suckers for the occasional kid that hangs out there, so they had candies from their candy bowls, pens with goofy tops, and other "stuff" to fill his goody bag with prizes!

Who knew that the most fascinating thing in my office according to Z. is the freight elevator!?! I had never really though about it.

No comments: