Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Temporary Insanity

I was on a road trip, with extra time before meeting my group for dinner. I had my list of yarn shops, so managed to find one nearby. It was "cute"--multiple "stores" in this cool turn of the century house. The yarns were in the "parlor and dining room"--best part of the place was the quit fabrics--which filled up several rooms... And did eventually suck me in (where I also bought some fabric I did not need.)

They had added scrapbooking, which was gradually creeping into the yarn space...Like a cancer! They had interesting sock yarn (like I needed any), which I fondled for awhile, and found one ball that was very interesting......Of course there was no second. I also checked out all of the sample socks--(probably the reason only one ball was left, as they always only have one on display!) I recognized many of the patterns from several of my growing collection of sock knitting books, so of course, became excited about trying something "new"--alas, there was no solid color yarn, needed to showcase the intricate patterns. (Thus maintaining the need to continue the quest for more sock yarn!)

Then it "grabbed me"--some "tucked in the back" balls of Regia in bright spring colors. The sun was shining, the weather mild (for winter!) and I thought---I need this to make bright spring socks for planting my flowers! Temporary insanity!

Now that I have started them--what was I thinking!?? Obviously not thinking! The orange leaps out at me.....Rule: never , never, again buy yarn with ORANGE, no matter how "minor" a player it looks like it is going to be. These socks are NEON! The ball of yarn looks "perky" and "fresh"....The resulting socks are shockingly, um....Shocking!

At least they are warm, and the yarn is nice to knit. They would make great little kid socks, and definitely cannot get lost in the wash. There will be some left overs, so I can play with that little socks thing. They will be wonderful socks for gardening, retirement, or a Halloween costume accessory!!

Moral of the story: Just like you should not judge a book by its cover, you should not picture the finished product based on how the ball of yarn looks......

No comments: