Saturday, November 05, 2005

Mothering and tulip bulbs

So "child" 1 had some "minor" surgery on an outpatient basis (what they call almost everything these days, short of replacing all of the patients internal organs). She had to have a "responsible" companion accompany her, so I got the job. It was sort of boring sitting around the Hospital ALL DAY, but I did manage to read a whole book, knit some of a pair of socks, watch Martha Stewart make a pizza, and visit the hospital cafeteria. After several hours of waiting (stay in this room so the surgeon can talk to you were the orders), a cute young (to me) surgeon dutifully reported on her condition, then indicated that I should wait some more until she was in the appropriate stage of recovery for me to join her (vague translation--until the medical profession is done collecting money from her insurance company, and they are going to return the "in the old days would be hospitalized for days" relative to you to take home and deal with as best you can.)

Fortunately, I had four kids and two parents, and between them and their escapades, and illnesses, I got good at the blood and yetch handling. It probably also helped that I was once in a former life, and admitting clerk for an urgent care, where people would routinely bring me the body part that was detached by the hedge trimmers, and offer it up, (like the admitting clerk was prepared to do anything about it!)

So we take the woozy, bleeding patient home, and give "home nursing" our best shot. Since 1 is an adult, you can only do so much. I suggested it was time to take her antibiotic, but she insisted that she had already taken it. Choose your battles--push the pain meds....Makes them sleep more and are easier to care for. So I made sure that she did not bleed out, kept breathing, and was relatively comfortable. That leaves a lot of time to knit--cute pair of socks from Swiss yarn is almost done.

Yesterday was 70 degrees--amazing for our climate--so during a nap for 1, I tidied 1's gardens (not hard, they are smaller than my kitchen table) and planted 30 purple tulip bulbs in her newly created beds near the sidewalk. Such fun to 1) be enjoying the warm sunshine in November and 2) have some decent dirt. 1, who is still to young to appreciate the dirt in ones yard, is oblivious to my enjoyment of the process. In May, she will be thrilled with the purple display at the end of the sidewalk. Happy Birthday! (got the bulbs on end of season clearance sale--very nice collection that might just be a little up market for her neighborhood, but will look stunning I hope).

Since we were both bored, we dragged the convalescent to my house--more space, bigger screens to watch, and stashed yarn!! Things are looking up for the surged upon, and more days will make things still better. It is still not fun, even if you can convalesce in your own home--or your mothers! At least her flower beds look nice.

No comments: