Saturday, November 05, 2005

Is your refrigerator running?

When we moved in, the refrigerator that was in the house had 1) not been cleaned when the prior owner moved out 2) been turned off from September to January and 3) was, as a result, unusable.

The husband declared with glee that we should buy all new appliances, which was where I was going anyway. He had the hots for a Ice/water dispenser in the door (which my genetic link to my father told me was a useless gadget that would just be something else to break--except in my case, I substituted "clean" for "break"). He carefully researched, compared, shopped, and selected his fridge--my only stipulation was that it be white (I have done the other than white appliance game, and refuse to pay again).

When the enormous fridge was delivered, it would not fit into the space.(I could point out that I did ask if he had measured the space prior to the purchase, and he assured me that they were "standard", but that would be one of those things that annoys husbands). The fridge was parked near the opening, and more power tools were purchased to take down the edge of the cabinet. Lots of muttering, whirring, and expletives later, and with great effort, the frige was jammed into the space.

When it runs, which is often, everything vibrates--the floor, the cabinets, everything in the cabinets, and I suspect everything in the walls connected to the cabinets. People often ask (in a frightened manner)--WHAT IS THAT?!?--It is just the refrigerator running (or rather the "symphony" of my kitchen). It sounds like an earthquake is beginning and we are at ground zero! You get used to it after awhile--just like people who live at the end of an airport runway or next to the railroad tracks do!

In defense of the husband, the floor is too high, which we did not discover until quite some time after moving in. He has removed the floor to make the stove and the dishwasher "fit". Turn out that appliances are "standard" (sort of), but our kitchen is not.

I am not excited about the floor removal under the fridge....So live with the noise--and know that the next time, I will measure the openings before he selects a model! Once they push the fridge into that opening, they are not going to take it out to further reduce the cabinet--no matter how awful it sounds!

No comments: