Tuesday, August 21, 2007

If I had it to do over again...

I would become a "demolitions expert". Not as in demolition derby, but the kind that tear down buildings. They are demolishing a building next to my office, and I have been fasinated the entire time.

I am expecially fond of watching the excavator manuver between the buildings, sorting the twisted chunks, loading the truck--makes it look easy. Know that it is not.

Now, we did not get the excitement of the implosion like the Hudson's building in downtown Detroit. I did get to watch chubby, dirty construction guys go at this building with sledge hammers. The best part were when little puffs of dust would be emitted from the wall, followed by small chunks, and finally a hand would shoot out!

Most of the excitement is done now. The rubble is toted away, and a clean space awaits the new building (?) or parking structure. Can only guess at how "toxic" all the stuff was...I loved watching their progress. It was amazing how they managed to be so exact with such large equipment! The demolition dance!! Loved it!

No comments: