Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mold and other annoyances

Lately, I have had multiple occasions in which I stay in a hotel/motel/bed and breakfast. The bed and breakfasts are usually quaint, unique, and personal. They "air" out the rooms and purchase Tilex if they need it. I like Bed and breakfasts, although sometimes it is a little weird depending on who else is there!

My annoyance is with hotel/motels. Now I am not talking about "Dan's Paradise Palace" or other such "interesting" places. I am talking about branded chains that you see commercials for on TV and in magazines. Many are to lodging what McDonald's is to fast food--nationwide, and supposedly standardized.

Problem is that despite all their attention to wall paper and textiles--they seem to never buy any Tilex. Almost every establishment that I have stayed in in the last 2 months could have used a little help with the mold in their showers! How hard is that? Chlorine Bleach works fine--but in case that is prohibited by OSHA, there must be products that will kill the mold just like the Tilex that I keep around and actually use two or three times a year! Even with that minimal application, I have no visible black mold lurking in my shower/tub!

I don't understand it! I once had four teenagers living in my house---and often 8 to 10 showers a day! We still did not get moldy build up like most of the lodging rooms I am assigned! How many showers do the people who rent motel rooms take anyway? They aren't really big enough for more than 4 or 5 people. Each person would have to take more than two a day to approach what my kids did as teens, and yet I did not have nearly the mold/mildew problem in the bathroom that the establishments have.

I just don't get it. They have these fans that are automatic--I had kids who would "forget" to turn them on! They have cleaning crews--I had four teenagers--who would sooner die than clean anything. I attribute the difference to infrequent but effective use of Tilex.

I am going to start packing Tilex in my suitcase...Wonder if they make a travel size? I am allergic to molds--so it is not just a matter of aesthetics with the mold problem in hotels/motels for me. You would think that for what they charge, the Tilex should be included along with the little soaps and shampoos.

Could it be that the people who own and manage these guest properties never actually stay there? Or maybe they have a side line culturing black mold for some type of lucrative market???? Or am I the only person on earth who notices that they have black mold creeping around the edges of their tiles and tub? Lately, it has been obvious I am the only one who seems to care....

No comments: