Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Priceless Yarn!

As if being obsessed with knitting socks wasn't strange enough, I have wandered farther afield into the wonderful world of spinning fiber---into yarn.  Eventually I may even get good enough to make yarn for socks!--someday.

So, I have the spinning wheel, and all of the "stuff"--whorls, bobbins, knitty-notty, flyers, a mother of all, and other parts and pieces, all marvelously coordinated and selected for their "old world" beauty.  This is part of my multi-year,  pre-retirement acquisition program of "toys" I want to spend time with when I have the time!   I intentionally selected this wheel (Kromski Ministrel) for its "old world" look.  And have color coordinated baskets to keep all these oddments organized and handy.  Although not its permanent home, the wheel is temporarily set up in the living room next to the fireplace....which seems appropriate for now. (Not permanent, as I am finding that spinning is a little messy, and I will probably prefer that the lint not be everywhere in the living room all the time!)

Of course, in addition to the investment in the wheel itself, and the accessories, you must have fiber.  I have spun several singles with drop spindles working up to owning a wheel.   So, once I  experimented with some "practice" un-dyed wool, I started on some "real stuff" 

And....ta-da!! I have spun my first skein of yarn!  It is a 2-ply/DK weight wool in a luscious Burgundy/pink color.   It is not perfect, but considering I have no idea what I am doing, and have only a book and the Internet as teachers, I think it is pretty good for a first try.  I have seen worse on sale in "boutique" yarn shops for what I think is an outrageous price.  I may have to rethink the value of one-of-a kind yarn based on my calculations though.......

 I don't know what I will make from it yet, but have enough for a scarf or a small shawlette.  And it only cost about $1,200 for me to make this little skein of yarn!!  

The next one will be cheaper---as I can depreciate the wheel over more product.   The next one will only cost around $600.00!

No comments: