Thursday, September 10, 2009

3 to 4 lbs!!!

Recently my DIL boasted that she lost 3.8 lbs! Today, I found it....or rather, my exterminator did.

Before today I did not have an exterminator--I had an extensive collection of rodent traps and a can of raid, supplemented by ant traps. That was my arsenal against keeping the "wilds" out of my house. When you live in "the country", things are constantly trying to move in with you!

For the last few weeks, I have been observing and occasionally doing battle with some yellow jackets that seemed to have developed an affinity for the corner of my house. By today, it was more than an affinity--and based on the Internet info (I don't know how we lived without the Internet!!) I was hopelessly beyond a can of Raid, as their nest was obviously somewhere--but not visible on the outside of the house! Out came the yellow pages, and quickly I had arranged for "Tony" from a pest control company to come out and look at my yellow jacket problem. I was working at home today--making this adventure possible!

When he arrived, he looked at my "bee-central station" and said he needed to start in the basement! That had not really occurred to me--that they had actually moved beyond the sill plate and into the ceiling of our finished basement. A tentative lift of the ceiling tiles--and we were off to exterminate, as he instantly identified the nest--entangled in cable coax, plumbing, insulation, wiring, and duct work in a corner of the house.....

He suited up, asked for a grocery bag, and warned me to stay upstairs. I went back to telecommuting (very convenient way to help facilitate a visit from your exterminator, it turns out). I head a little clunking and bunking, but went on with my work. A while later, Tony emerged, in full bee suit, and went around to the back of the house. He said he had dying yellow jackets in the basement, and now it was time to puff the killer powder into their entrance. I watched from the screen porch, as he puffed away, into the invisible hole, surrounded by confused and hostile bees! I began to appreciate the value of the exterminator!! (I do not have, nor do I want, a bee suit, but he needed it just then!)

He returned to the basement, and I watched the swirling bees outside as they were drawn to the hole, but sensed something was amiss. A few "white powdery" bees emerged, and nose dived to the ground. There was quite a swarm for quite awhile. The cat, dozing on the porch, was unimpressed. I was fascinated.

About a half hour later, Tony emerged again, removed his Bee helmet, and asked for some paper toweling---he was completely wet from being inside the suit on an 80 degree humid day, doing battle with my yellow-jackets. He asked for another grocery bag, and some water. I gave him a double bag--no problem. He went back to "nest removal"...muttering something about a "city" down there. I went back to work. The bees were still buzzing around outside, acting a little crazy. The cat was still snoozing in the sun.

Finally, a triumphant Tony emerged from the basement...stuffed grocery bag in hand--leaving a slight trail of dead yellow jackets on the steps...saying "LOOK--it is about 3-4 pounds! Biggest nest I ever saw. It went in all directions. They have stopped buzzing now--and I have most of it in the bag-----I'll just put this in my truck.!" (I think he wanted it as a trophy!!--fine with me!). He came back to retrieve his "stuff" and went to fill out the paper work. I snuck down to survey the "war zone"---in the corner the ceiling was lifted--yellow jackets, confined by the glass doors flew lazily around--in big loops (death spirals, according to Tony). There were nest "crumbs" on the floor, and dead yellow-jackets in small piles. According to Tony, I needed to wait 24 hours before using the shop vac to clean this up--so they would all be really dead--and so my shop vac would not melt from the posion ---no problem!

The bill presented and paid, Tony kept telling me how he had never seen a nest this big--going in all directions! He seemed quite proud of the eradication, and said that I have a 60 day guarantee--but he did not expect me to call. I thought he was wonderful--and am delighted with the promise of being yellow-jacket free!

He says I have some mess left to clean out--as he went as far as he could, then applied some more Killer---and in a few days, I could pull out the rest (--or just leave it there!). Fix the hole they entered through...vacuum up the floor. He did not think he would need to come back----but did say (again and again) it was the biggest nest he had ever seen!!!

So, Stately Wayne Manor now has an exterminator. It is so much easier than dealing with it yourself! He has a bee suit! He has killer powders! He wraps the nest up in a grocery bag, and takes it away in his truck....all for just some cash!! Within two hours, not a yellow jacket in sight outside the house. Cat still snoozing, and I wrapped up my work day!

Now listen young people---if you are looking for a stable career, consider extermination--it cannot be outsourced overseas, and there are no shortage of pests for people to want not in their homes. Sounds like a good career choice in this weird economy! Besides, all your clients will LOVE you!

And really, I never even heard them buzzing......

1 comment:

sjanova said...

Wow! is all I can say. You're pretty lucky, when you think about it.