Sunday, August 30, 2009

Immortality

Long awaited bio GC #1 was born Tuesday. A beautiful boy. Miraculous in every way---and just as awesome as his father, aunts and uncle were when they arrived. Being the grandma is a new experience--and experience is what you have going for you as a grandma---and perhaps more affluence that when you were the mom.

So, day 4, I got a "smile". Some may say it is "gas" or random facial muscle moves, but I am convinced that it was a real genuine human interaction "smile"... We have had three substantive conversations, J and I---because auditory stimulation is important, and my prior experience with dementia allows me to have one sided conversations---except that in our third conversation was not one sided. I got facial muscle movements, eye contact, and then--the smile.

If he wasn't already my fav GC, that sealed it. Babies have a way of winning you over--in an instant! The DNA lives on--my link to the future.

You realize how much you learned while being a parent when you have a new grandchild---and you have the luxury of sitting back and enjoying the ride!!!

No comments: