Friday, December 09, 2005

Auntie L of the slippery pants!

I inherited my Aunt L. As the story goes, my grandmother had a difficult pregnancy with the youngest of the sisters...and my mother, who was 5 at the time, and the responsible type, was assigned the task of "taking care of L." by her father. This pattern continued for the rest of their lives. Even when my Aunt L. Married Uncle M. who "took care of her" to the tenth degree, my mother was always there--still taking care of whatever what left over. When Uncle M. died, there was a rapid return to the 5 year old T. and the 2 1/2 year old L. pattern that lasted until T could no longer take care of herself, let alone L.

So, that is how I inherited L. She is a sweetie, but don't cross her. She is also related to my mother and her sisters, who all had a "stubborn streak". L. is a wheel chair user--but she still makes up her mind about something, and just won't let it go.....which brings us to the slippery pants.

Polyester double knit is the fabric of choice--it is durable, stretchable, somewhat warm, easy to care for, and can be obtained in elastic waist pull up versions (easier) with pockets (essential), in petite sizes. L. has a bunch of them.

L. also has a wheelchair upholstered with a durable, cleanable, and somewhat slippery fabric. She had a "grippy" mat in the seat, but like so many things, I have no idea where she has placed that. Without the mat, she slides right out if she leans forward--like to fiddle with the Christmas tree lights. The tree is on a timer, and I had specifically asked her what time it should go off, but apparently she did not really mean what she said. The times and place of the slipping out tells me that she was trying to unplug or plug in the tree.

I kept getting the calls about L. falling out of her chair. I want to suggest seat belts to the staff...she won't give up the slippery pants! (or the futzing with the tree lights) I do ask them to tell her she cannot continue to fall out of the chair--or she will have to go to the dreaded nursing home again if she hurts herself---mean, but gets her attention.

When I dropped by yesterday, obviously the staff was tired of picking her up and having to call me, and she was plopped atop the fluffy bath mat (which they insisted that she have for safety, but she refuses to use as a bathmat), with its grippy side gripping the chair---probably more comfy anyway!

They haven't called today.

No comments: