Saturday, August 20, 2005

Crazy socks

I knit socks. Not particularly for any reason. I certainly do not need any socks, but they are challenging, and look pretty, and the yarns are soft and colorful. I have progressed from 4-needle socks, to knitting socks one at a time on 2 circular needles, to knitting 2 socks at a time on 2 circular needles. It is the challenge.

This is not difficult once you figure it out--but it does amaze those who have not done it. I attend with some frequency a "knitting group" that meets at a local coffee shop. They are in awe of the multiple sock knitting (and probably wonder what I am going to do with all these socks!)

An interesting group. A collection of women (a guy came once..Hasn't been back) who have very little in common except their interest in creating something with yarn and needles. There is never a dull moment however, as while the needles click and the knitted fabrics grow, the problems of the (locals, state, nation, world) are discussed, evaluated, dissected, argued, and "solved". I enjoy this group of people I have very little in common with other than the needles and yarn.

The coffee shop is a gracious host. They obviously know absolutely nothing about knitters. It is impossible to eat the pastries they sell while knitting. knitters would have to set down their knitting to actually drink coffee, which is quite unlikely in a group dedicated enough to knitting to actually go somewhere to sit around and knit with other knitters! As a group, we don't spend much at the coffee house but our time. They are nice though, and haven't asked us to stop coming. Maybe it looks better to people driving by--the coffee house is full of people--being friendly!

I finished some cotton/lycra socks that I made to match my sandals--funky, fun--intrigued by the elastic yarn. Bought enough for a little pair(actually, I bought extra, as I did not know how much yarn it would take, and have more than I thought left over)--so have started those. Fun stuff, knitting socks. Will have to decide which feet will get all of them later--but now the obsession is to see the patterns unfold--socks are intoxicating, I tell you, and some fine, challenging knitting!

No comments: