Monday, July 11, 2005

Baby socks!

So I have decided to get "with it" and be a blogger! Figured that it might be useful for adding to my "hipness", or at least to allow me to vent about the goofy and frustrating things that happen in my life. I have no idea why anyone would care, but perhaps it is "therapy" without the cost!

So, if you are the one of those people who have nothing better to do than to randomly read other people's blogs, I will try not to be any more boring than a middle aged knitter with a cat (thus the name of the blog) should be.

So, back to the baby socks--my current frustration! Who knew that while I was busy raising my kids to adulthood, someone decided that all infants should look like mini-rock stars in skimpy clothing, who let it all hang out?

Personally, I have a huge fondness for little girls in pink "Polly Flinders" dresses--and apparently I am the only one on the planet who thinks this is still what baby girls should be dressed in--except designer Ralph Lauren (Thank goodness!!).

I had not spent much time looking at or thinking about baby girl clothes until recently when one of my high school friends became a grandmother! So, I was searching for the appropriate gift for the new baby (trying very hard to suppress the grandmother lust raging within). Much looking finally located an adorable (if not outrageously priced for the tiny item that it is--but thankfully was "on sale") Ralph Lauren "outfit"--"Polly Flinders" enough to be acceptable in the requisite pink--with a white onesie in a size that will probably fit when the season is appropriate... but the perfect gift purchase created my need for the socks! (after all if it is cool enough to wear this jumper/long sleeve onesie outfit, it is too cold for bare feet, not to mention that I am not sure that bare feet go with extensive smocking!)

I searched multiple retail outlets specializing in baby items, and /or socks. Apparently there is not a single pair of ruffled white or pink anklets for an infant in the Midwest!! I finally settled on a pair of tights (sorry, baby, but I guess the training for the panty hose might as well start early) and some rather "athletic" looking anklets in pink--the best I could do! At least her feel won't be blue (unless the tights are too tight) and perhaps the tights will keep some of the skin on her knees as she begins to crawl!

I guess that I should start now to knit feminine socks for future granddaughters, because apparently the only chance to purchase some is during the brief pre-Easter shopping season that occurs about a day and a half after the Christmas holiday shopping ends!! Knitting socks is one of my current obsessions, but have not ventured into "kid socks" yet.

So, the question of the day is, why has everyone else lost their minds by creating mini-hooker-esk clothing for 3 month old babies? Who really needs to have their daughter, let alone their infant, look like a mini-slut?
Do these people know how miserable their lives will be when the baby reaches age 15? (been there and got that t-shirt, thanks!!)

Maybe it is a good thing that I am only at the "grandmother lust" stage, as I would have to begin my own line of "girly" clothes if I actually had some grandchildren who were girls. I can only hope that the Little House on the prairie looks is "in" if and when that day comes! --I am a real sucker for the matching bonnets!!

2 comments:

iamthanu said...

hah, hah, hah, my mom has a blog!

iamthanu said...

I just read this again . . . and the bonnets . . . oh, the horror, the horror . . .